Privacy Dynamics is the fastest and most reliable method for engineers and analysts to anonymize data. In this guide, we walk you through the steps of creating your first Project and anonymizing your first Dataset.
To complete this guide, you will need:
- A Privacy Dynamics account
- A dataset in a supported data warehouse or database
- Credentials for connecting to your data, with appropriate privileges for reading and writing data
# Step 1 - Add Data Source
First, you will need to add a Connection to the data source you need anonymized.
- If this is the first time, the Getting Started Wizard will prompt you to set up a connection for the first time
- If you have already created a data source, you can always create a new one by selecting the Connections button from the primary navigation and then selecting ADD CONNECTION
The exact steps used to set up your connection will depend on the technology.
# Step 2 - Choose Your Data
After your data source has been successfully added, you can use the Choose Data page to configure the datasets you wish to target. To reach this page, select Anonymize from the primary navigation.
- Use the DATA SOURCE drop down to select the connection you created previously
- Configure which data Privacy Dynamics anonymizes by selecting your Origin and Destination schemas
- ORIGIN - where the untreated data currently lives
- DESTINATION - where you would like us to write the anonymized data
Privacy Dynamics can write to a different database. Just click the "Save treated data to a different data connection" box and select or create a new connection to that database
- Use the Select Datasets tab and check the dataset treatment plan
- Treat - data will run through our anonymizer and written to the Destination
- Passthrough - data will NOT be anonymized but will be included in the selected Destination
- If neither option is selected, Privacy Dynamics will not create a table for that dataset in the Destination
- Select Next
# Step 3 - Configure Dataset Settings
Once you have selected the data for treatment, you can further refine the treatment plan for each Dataset.
- Select each dataset to preview the fields detected
- Privacy Dynamics automatically detects which fields contain PII. However for additional control, you can configure how you would like the Anonymizer to treat your data
- Check Lock for each column you would like to preserve
- Check Redact for each column you would like to suppress
- Select Next
# Step 4 - Configure Project Settings
Now you can choose to run with current settings or you use the current configuration to create a Project and run your anonymization treatments on a schedule.
- Choose one of the following
- Ad Hoc Run - treat the selected data once, immediately. Your settings will not be saved
- Create Project - save the dataset configuration and optionally run your treatment plan on a schedule
- Select Finish
Congratulations, you have just anonymized your first dataset! You can continue to add Connections, Projects, and Datasets to your account.